grep --label=stdin_label

YONETANI Tomokazu qhwt+dfly at les.ath.cx
Tue Nov 16 02:43:51 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 12:35:59AM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :Hello.
> :Can I commit the following patch that adds --label=stdin_label option to grep?
> :New zgrep/zfgrep script relies on this option in grep when it's fed multiple
> :files and the grep in our tree doesn't have one. At first I tried to change
> :the script, but I couldn't come up with a simple and efficient way to emulate
> :it.
>
>     Looks good, go ahead.

Hmm, I spoke too soon. During installworld, z*grep commands are installed
from gnu/usr.bin/grep(as hardlinks to grep), then get overwritten by shell
scripts installed from usr.bin/gzip. This was why suddenly z*grep stopped
working for multiple files. While this option to grep can be useful in
some other cases, we'd probably better change usr.bin/gzip/Makefile so as
not to install z*grep wrappers.