acpica5 and acpi sub-modules (Re: cvs commit: src/sys/dev Makefile)

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue May 25 23:45:22 PDT 2004

    Ok, this looks like it is starting to shape up.  There are a few problems
    with the patch that need to be fixed but once that is accomplished
    I think it looks committable.  You did a lot of work bringing in the
    FreeBSD-5 changes!  Thanks!  FreeBSD-5 has made significant progress in
    the last few months and we definitely need that work.

    The first issue with the patch is that you have to move the acpi.h and
    acenv.h generation back into acpica5/Makefile and remove it from
    /usr/src/sys/Makefile.inc.  The problem is that /usr/src/sys/Makefile.inc
    covers *everything* under sys and those acpica dependancies not only
    do not belong there, but the ../../.... paths won't be correct for many
    subdirectories under sys.  This leads to make depend problems (amoung
    other things).

    The second issue is the addition of dev/acpi.  This seems to have taken
    over the build that used to be in acpica5.  The build should really be
    in acpica5 with appropriate rearrangements to accomodate your new
    subdirectory structure (which I think is fine).  Putting the build
    in dev/acpi creates a lot of confusion between dev/acpi and dev/acpica5.

    I am also a bit unsure about the idle hook you added, but since acpica5
    is still experimental I think we can run with it until we find a better
    way.

    If you can fix those two issues and supply a new patch, I think it
    could be committed.

:Hi.