small enhancement idea for 'make installworld' et al.

David Rhodus drhodus at machdep.com
Wed May 12 13:34:00 PDT 2004

On May 12, 2004, at 4:06 PM, Chris Pressey wrote:

On Wed, 12 May 2004 12:37:51 -0700 (PDT)
Matthew Dillon <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    Hmm.  I didn't know the ports system could do that.

    But, the more I think about it, the less I like the idea of any
    makefile automaticallying su to root for me!
OK.  Care to explain why you feel that way?  It's certainly no less
safe
than running buildworld and buildkernel as root (which is what the
current setup encourages) and it's not like su doesn't still ask for
the
root password.
I don't see that it does that.. Actually its very rare that I run either
of these as root unless I'm doing regression testing on a test
machine.
I also don't like the idea. Its too unsafe to allow a Makefile to run
around changing this. In most cases su'ing to root in general can
be considered unsafe.
-DR