bin warns cleanup

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mine.nu
Thu Mar 18 16:46:59 PST 2004

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 00:14:03 +0100
"Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode at xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I did some warning cleanup on bin which should get it fairly clean for
>
> gcc3 with WARNS=5 CWARNFLAGS="-fstrict-aliasing -std=c99
> -Wuninitialized"
>
> Most cleanups were (or combinations, but I tried to keep style
> consistent in one file):
> - K&R
> - constness (char *foo = "ham")
> - quad -> long long
> - int -> size_t
> - missing or damaged prototypes (int foo();)
> - shadowing of global functions/variables
>
> I excluded pax and tcsh. pax is a big chunk residing as a partial
> patchset here still (needs revamping on const and prototypes, size_t
> vs int stuff), tcsh is contrib.
>
> printf is included because it gets sucked in from sh.
>
> I realize there are still some warnings and I intend to address them
> lateron, mostly because I have the feeling they will open another can
> of worms (constness propagates...)
>
> Another issue is that gcc3 doesn't know the BSD specific printf0
> function attribute. Do we want to use and support this? If so, we need
>
> to patch gcc3 on this issue.
>
> This should not contain functional changes :)
>
> My CVS somehow crunshed the $DragonFly$ tags; if this is a problem
> please tell me how to fix that and I'll submit an updated patch.
>
> Have fun with 90KB patch at:
> <http://chlamydia.fs.ei.tum.de/~corecode/warns-bin-cleanup.diff>
>
> cheers
>    simon

OK, thanks!  Since it's in my area, I suppose I'll look after this.
In the next few days.  In little chunks.  :)

About the $DragonFly$ tag problems: I had them too a while ago.  For
future reference for anyone else who's having this problem, I fixed it
by rebuilding cvs, blowing away /home/dcvs, re-cvsup'ing, and
re-checkout'ing.

I don't *think* it's a big problem; I've applied your patch to my source
tree (and am about to buildworld twice to test it) and AFAIK the tags
will get nicely updated once it's committed.  But if someone more
experienced with CVS knows otherwise, please let me know.

-Chris