RFC gawk update

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mine.nu
Mon Mar 1 22:39:01 PST 2004

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 21:47:40 +0000
skrueger at xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> hi folks,
>
> I've "imported" gawk-3.1.3, you can find all files on
> http://tecneeq.dyndns.org/~cosmicdj/DragonFly/
>
> contrib_gawk-3.1.3.tar.bz2 goes into /usr/src/contrib
> gnu_usr.bin_gawk.tar.bz2 goes into /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin
>
> gnu_usr.bin_Makefile.patch.bz2 is for /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/Makefile
> not needed right now unless you want to buildworld!!!
>
> sadly gawk's info doesn't work with our (aged) texinfo, so the build
> will fail in gawk/doc :-(
>
> I plan to update texinfo tomorow if no one objects
>
> comments? objections? flames? ;-)

Only one:

Submissions should probably go to submit at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, not
commits@ (which is primarily for commit messages from CVS)

Other than that... sorry, I don't know what to make of it yet :)

We could really use an official statement/HOWTO of the preferred method
for putting contrib/gnu/vendor branches in the tree... stated on the
webpage or somewhere... I know it involves putting the contrib in
verbatim, and using patches to generate the DFly-specific version before
the build, but I don't know the mechanics yet.

I assume this (gawk submission) complies with the general idea, but I'll
have to do some digging to find out for sure.

-Chris