New Firewall (hpf) for DragonFlyBSD

Proceau news at proceau.spam.com
Sat Jan 10 06:47:08 PST 2004

>On 09.01.2004, at 23:09, Proceau wrote:
>>  For support the whole of the sizes to point, a solution would be to
>> use an
>> offset for architectures other than 32 bits. The structures of table
>> are
>> allocated in once and it places in a memory capacity of less 4giga, the
>> solution for example with architectures 64bits would be to consider
>> that
>> address memory at the time of the changes of table in table is the
>> whole
>> value 32bits + a base of the size of the pointers (64bits), that
>> amounts
>> manufacturing pages.

>If one wanted to go this way, one could easily use an unsigned char or
>short int.

>cheers  simon

Hi

With unsigned char one can address that 256 table what is too too little,
with shorts int, one can address 65535 table it is more acceptable but that
too is can for the large ones numbers rules. That becomes correct starting
from 3 bytes, which gives 16 million table, but 3 bytes it is dealigned in
the memory, therefore the best choice remains 4 bytes, and which more is
that is the fastest solution on the most current architecture.
For me 4 octets it"s the big value for lot of rules and the less value for
small memory use.