hostname(1) change

David Rhodus drhodus at catpa.com
Sun Jan 4 18:51:59 PST 2004

On Jan 4, 2004, at 7:47 PM, Kent Ibbetson wrote:

Hi all,

Attached is a patch for hostname(1) which allows you set the hostname
based on a supplied IP address.  I use it to set the hostname when I
dial in.
hostname -r IP_ADDR  is much easier to type than
hostname `host IP_ADDR | awk '{print $5}'`
Maybe someone else will find it useful, maybe its just junk :)
I haven't looked at the source lately, but we added code so that
dhclient would set the hostname from the reverse lookup of the
IP address. I don't think this ever was MFC'd in FreeBSD. You might
take a look at the code to see if we merged that in when we re-sync'd
our DHCP code from FreeBSD-5x a while back.
-DR