GCCVER rename

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Jan 22 16:14:29 PST 2004

:Hi all,
:if noone objects, I'll commit the attached patch tomorrow.
:It renames GCCVER to CCVER and prepends gcc to the current
:values. This is a more appropiate naming and allows us to
:more easily choose the system compiler.
:
:Joerg

    Yup.  Go for it.

    p.s. just as a side note, right now /usr/src/usr.bin/objformat
    is the wrapper for all the binaries in /usr/bin.  It will continue
    to understand (now) CCVER but there is also the potential,
    down the line, for us to add specific compiler compatibility option
    translation to the wrapper.  That is, rather then modify our Makefile's
    with fine knowledge of the compiler being used, we would instead make
    the wrappers understand things like ICC and translate GCC options to
    ICC, Tendra, etc in those situations where the options would otherwise
    be incompatible.

    I would also like to to have the wrapper recognize a special option
    that overrides CCVER, e.g. a '--ccver' option which it eats.

    For now, though, the CCVER environment variable is just fine... quite
    suitable for the compiler selection that the build scripts are going to
    have to deal with.