Layout graphic ideas

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mine.nu
Mon Feb 23 15:03:34 PST 2004

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:58:39 -0500
"Justin C. Sherrill" <justin at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dave Cuthbert wrote:
>
> > "BSD with style(9)."
>
> I like that.  I agree with Chris/Peter - it all can sound a bit
> gleeful.  I tried to match them up a bit better to the page position.
>
> If people are iffy on it, I'll remove the phrase display; I want to
> commit this layout and get back to the mail archive cleanup on which
> I've been totally flaking out.
>
> Here's what I have now:
>
> char *Phrases[] = {
>     "Tired of Penguins?  Switch to the Dragon!",
>     "BSD-5 got you down?  Migrate to the Dragon!",
>     "DragonFly BSD: Because we can.",
>     "Dragging BSD, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century.",
>     "Best thing since sliced bread.",
>     "A new day and a new way",
>     "The way BSD should be!",
>     "Here be dragons.",
>     "BSD with style(9)"
> };

Just to be clear: I don't mind having a slogan, but I feel that:

a) it would be a lot more professional to have just one, and stick with
it; and

b) it would be a lot easier to come up with a slogan if we had a better
defined philosophy/vision to start from.

That said, of the above listed slogans, I like #4 the best (with #9 a
close runner-up) as it seems to be the best fit with DragonFly's
philosophy/vision (which, even if not stated well, does exist.)

Also, FWIW, I think it would look nice with no punctuation.  Like:

[LOGO] The DragonFly BSD Project
       dragging BSD kicking and screaming into the 21st century

While on the subject... I agree with Mezz' comments.  Viewing the page
with Mozilla Firepig (or whatever its name is *today*) even in 800x600
resolution, I get a horizontal scrollbar unless I've selected "Full
Screen", which I rarely ever do, for what are maybe obvious reasons.

So, I say ditch the fixed width.  Maybe even aim for eventual Bobby
compliance?  That would sure impress me more than a cute slogan :)

But if the mail archive is more important (and it probably is) don't
worry about it too much.

-Chris