New website (inspired by the "Website layout" thread)

Munish Chopra chopra at soulwax.net
Fri Feb 6 15:28:47 PST 2004

On 2004-02-06 23:14 +0000, Max Laier wrote:
> Don't you _all_ think it's about time to stop throlling ahead?

Well, if it's "trolling" you meant, I don't see the trolling really. In
general it seemed like a pretty decent attempt to clarify some of the
technical issues that people weren't clear about.

> I think you all made your points, Amar you have to realize that there is
> no support for your points, don't you think?

Well, I don't know what Amar thinks, but it certainly doesn't seem that
way to me. People seem to be missing the point continuously. It's pretty
hard to judge how much support there is for an idea when there is a bit
of miscommunication or some preconceived ideas that need clarification.

The bits that Amar put up make it easy to integrate XML/XSLT elements
for such pieces of the site as the task list -- places where they are
truly useful technologies. Moving the *entire* site to something like
that seems like a really bad idea.

Beyond that it's a solution that's very flexible and easily
maintainable.

> As all has been said (it seems so to me at least) it's best to calm down a
> bit and wait for Matt to add his views and descision, maybe.

I don't see why a discussion should stop. As long as people keep their
egos in check and actually reply to the technical merits presented, it
seems like decent progress is being made.

What everyone ultimately wants (well, I'm assuming so anyway) is simply
something that isn't a headache to maintain, and will scale well in
accordance with future needs. This seems like a solid foundation to move
on with. And remember, the SGML involved simply creates entities and
handles includes. The rest can be whatever you need it to be, now or in
the future.

--
Munish Chopra