libmap and linuxpluginwrapper

Rahul Siddharthan rsidd at online.fr
Tue Apr 6 07:15:56 PDT 2004

"Simon 'corecode' Schubert" wrote:
>Add magic to ELF/binutils/rtld to have to possibility to explicitely
>specify the exact shared object file which should be used (as first
>try) to use for this "generic" shared object name (libfoo.so.3). Of
>course this must easily be changeable after final linking (rpath is
>hard to change afterwards because of virtual memory location +
>relocation).
>
>I think this would also be the way to use here: for example, specify in
>/usr/local/lib/linux-flashplugin6/libflashplayer.so to try for the
>requested libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 the file
>/usr/lib/gcc2/libstdc++.so.3 or even /usr/lib/${CCVER}/libstdc++.so. If
>this file doesn't exist, continue searching like before.

So how would you do this?  libflashplayer.so is a binary distributed
by Macromedia, you can't recompile it.  And your "first try" for this
binary may not be an appropriate "first try" for most other binaries
on the system.

The point, in this case, is to allow you to use a Linux plugin with a
native (not Linux binary) browser.  So you can't even use an
environment variable like ${CCVER} -- the mozilla{-firefox} binary
wants a different libstdc++ from the linux plugin.

Rahul