mount user option

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Sep 23 21:18:01 PDT 2003

:do we want to have most functionality inside the kernel?
:if not, this usermount will have to be 4555. (i would be pleased, if proven
:wrong though).
:
:>     vfs.usermount is a terrible hack as it stands, but it can serve as
:>     a framework for the console ownership check.
:
:what i dislike about the vfs.usermount approach is, that it enforces, that
:the user can write to the device. this is something, i want to restrict.
:maybe one cannot do much harm, but it is still no good idea, i think.
:
:i understand, that a floppy may need write access, but a read-only cdrom?
:
:>     A user-mounted filesystem could be flagged such that it can be
:>     similarly unmounted.
:
:this is really a non-issue, because we have struct statfs->f_owner.
:this is kind of the flag, you are talking about, right?
:(well vfs.usermount mounted fs set this flag, so you may well mean something
:different.)
:i would just need a way to set it from usermode.
:
:~ibotty

    Most of the functionality should probably be in the kernel,
    but /etc/fstab is still going to govern what the user can and
    cannot mount which implies an suid program of some sort.