emulation/43bsd patch

David P. Reese Jr. daver at gomerbud.com
Wed Sep 10 05:45:46 PDT 2003

In article <slrnbltq6n.q9f.daver at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David P. Reese Jr. wrote:
> In article <20030910082018.GA27649 at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, qhwt at xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 01:33:12AM +0000, David P. Reese Jr. wrote:
>>> This patch creates an emulation/43bsd directory and moves the recently
>>> modified compatibility syscalls there.  Any future work on the COMPAT_43
>>> code should be split from the rest of the kernel and moved here.
>>>
>>> http://gomerbud.com/daver/patches/dragonfly/emulation-43bsd.diff
>>>
>>> If this patch gets positive feedback, I will commit the changes.
>>
>> include/protocols/talkd.h still uses osockaddr and it bombs out
>> building libexec/talkd during buildworld.
>
> I'll post a new revision that fixes world issues tomorrow.

I've put some thought into this.  The only place in the source tree
outside of src/sys that touches osockaddr is include/protocols/talkd.h.
I can see no compelling reason for a userland app to be compiled with
any of these compatibility structures.

If we wanted to, we could have installincludes install the 4.3BSD compat
headers so that userland aps can be built from them.  The other option
is to define osockaddr in talkd.h and keep the 4.3BSD compat headers
private to the kernel.

The quick hack to talkd.h makes me cringe a bit less than exporting the
headers.

--
   David P. Reese, Jr.                                     daver at xxxxxxxxxxxx
                                               http://www.gomerbud.com/daver/