Time for newvers

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Sep 6 22:12:49 PDT 2003

    I have a solution to propose, and that is for us to begin our
    own ports tree which we call /usr/dports.  The FreeBSD ports
    tree would still reside in /usr/ports.

    We would modify /usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk to detect when a port is
    built from the FreeBSD ports tree and if so it will check to see
    if an 'override' exists in our /usr/dports tree, and redirect the
    build to the new tree if so.

    This would be strictly temporary, but this way we can modify ports
    piecemeal without having to constantly sync with FreeBSD.