rcrun: savecore and swap1 patch

Peter Kadau peter.kadau at tuebingen.mpg.de
Mon Dec 15 00:39:01 PST 2003

Hi !

>     I'm not sure I understand what the problem with swapon is.  swapon will
>     not turn swap on twice, you can rerun 'swapon -a' as many times as you
>     like.  It does return an exit code of 1 if swap is already mounted, but
>     that's the only side effect.
OK, sorry for being so unclear.
If the rcng scripts are supposed to be run by rc on boot
and by rcrun otherwise only there is no problem.
On boot there is no swap yet and rcrun takes care of
the configured state.
But what if you go to single user and back ?
Hmm, maybe localswap is a bad example, because
fastboot state takes care of that AFAIK.

The problem being, if you stop/start swap1 for whatever
reasons manually, it will remain in state "failed".
As I said, in the case of swap this is maybe not really
a problem, since nobody would do that - except me for testing ;-)

The general case being:
Some service foo can only be activated/established, not shut down.
There are no special provisions as fastboot for swap in place.
You go to single user and up e.g. And then foo complains and you have
to start every service which needs foo manually - or reboot
which could be way faster.
In that case to remedy this you need a way to *test* whether foo is
already established from within the foo-script.
(And I mistakenly thought vm.swap_enabled would be the right
 test for swap - sorry for the confusion this may raised.)

Hopefully I expressed my concerns clearer now.

Cheers
Peter

--
<peter.kadau at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Campus der Max-Planck-Institute Tübingen
Netzwerk- und Systemadministration

Tel: +49 7071 601 598
Fax: +49 7071 601 616