Network interface cloning (Step1: API UPDATE)

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Dec 28 11:17:44 PST 2003

:>     I like how it simplifies the IF code.  Does 5.x really use a bitmap
:>     like that?
:>
:Yes, the if.c part is almost 1:1 from 5.x, why would you except
:something else?

    Not really an expectation.  I'm just wondering why 5.x used a bitmap
    when a linked list with a hint pointer would have worked just as well
    (and not have had any limit restrictions or bitmap testing code strewn
    about).

:btw, did some stress testing: while ifconfig gre create ... etc. Seems
:stable and not leaking anything.
:
:--
:Best regards,				| max at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
:Max Laier				| ICQ #67774661
:http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/	| mlaier at EFnet #DragonFlyBSD

    Excellent.  David Rhodus is testing in a real life situation.  When he
    gives the thumbs up we'll commit it.  I really do appreciate the work you
    have done.  DragonFly is going to continue development along these lines...
    a mix of backports (primarily of self contained APIs) from 5.x plus new
    code.