firmware discussion

Ján Sučan sucanjan at fit.cvut.cz
Sun May 7 07:59:52 PDT 2017

Hello to all,

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Jan Sucan. I am from
Slovakia and I study in Prague. I have done some simpler embedded
systems programming in the past and I am very interested in kernel-level
programming.

I would like to work on modifying firmware framework for loading files
from userland.

I have added experimental support to subr_firmware.c for reading a
firmware data using fp_open() from userland and registering it with
firmware_register().

I think of implementing a mapping of firmware names to file paths using
sysctl, as Johannes Hofmann suggested back then in May 2010. This
mapping would take precedence over loading the firmware modules, so
transition to the new way of loading firmware data could be gradual.

I would like to ask for your opinions and suggestions.

Thanks,
Jan