Old drm1 drivers now completely useless

Isaac Dunham ibid.ag at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 12:55:11 PDT 2014

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 09:36:26PM +0200, Francois Tigeot wrote:
> The lowest mesa version now available in FreeBSD ports has just been
> switched to 9.1.7:
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=371035
>
> Since Mesa 8.0+ has dropped support for drm1 drivers, these drivers
> are now completely useless.

> They were only used to provide 3D OpenGL acceleration.

(I assume this means that removing them will not affect the X11 drivers.)

During the discussion about removing DRM1 support from Mesa, it was
asserted that the Mesa 7.11 DRM1 drivers could be combined with "future"
Mesa releases to provide OpenGL acceleration.

But I have not heard of anyone who has tested that on Linux or BSD;
I don't have the hardware to test any of these.

> The following directories contain their sources in the DragonFly
> kernel:
>
> - /usr/src/sys/dev/drm/mach64
> - /usr/src/sys/dev/drm/mga
> - /usr/src/sys/dev/drm/r128
> - /usr/src/sys/dev/drm/savage
> - /usr/src/sys/dev/drm/sis
> - /usr/src/sys/dev/drm/tdfx
>
> I'm thinking of removing them from the git repository before the next
> release.

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham