rcrun(8), service(8) and future directions

Franco Fichtner franco at lastsummer.de
Tue Nov 18 11:51:33 PST 2014

Hi,

On 18 Nov 2014, at 17:55, Freddie Cash <fjwcash at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 10:46 PM, Francois Tigeot <ftigeot at wolfpond.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 06:31:35AM +0100, Robin Hahling wrote:
> >
> > In this case, I missed the parts you are mentioning. If the consensus is that
> > the service(8) command could go, then I am in favor of removing it from 4.0
> > release.
>
> service(8) is a standard command present on many recent Linux distributions
> as well as FreeBSD.
> Sysadmins expect it to be there and it should stay IMNSHO.
>
> ​Seems overly redundant to have two separate utilities that do the same thing in just slightly different ways.  Perhaps writing a stub service(8) command that simply outputs a message about rcrun(8) would be a better use of limited developer resources?

I did the import.  Here are some simple facts.

1. It took a minute to import.
2. It works.
3. FreeBSD maintains it, if it needs maintenance at all.
4. It provides a known interface to novice DF users.
5. Revert takes 10 seconds.

My questions are:

1. Is it worth arguing about different choice of tools?
2.1. Is it worth making DF migration harder for interested parties?
2.2. Can we even afford to be harder to migrate to?
2.3. Are we even interested in a wider recognition of DF?
3. Is it worth to have a complicated discussion for a tiny tool?

Feel free to discuss this further.  ;)

Cheers,
Franco