Next release ideas

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Mon Mar 31 12:10:41 PDT 2014

On 3/31/2014 21:03, Zachary Crownover wrote:
> On the note of pkg, who does the task fall on to make upgrades smoother.
> Regularly needing to force uninstall and then upgrade and then reinstall
> seems like a hack.

Three comments:

1) This has been improving with each upgrade of pkg.  Particularly
upgrades to perl which has been a mess for decades
2) The past year (revolving) of UPDATING has already been added to
dports-stage.  Known upgrade issues give the exact pkg command needed,
so for a while check there first
3) Pkg 1.3.0 is supposed to solve a lot of this.

That being said, I don't have to "force uninstall" so I'm not sure what
path you are going down.

While I personally don't like the existence of UPDATING file, I think
we're going to have to use it until pkg is good enough to handle those
edge cases by itself.  version 1.3.0 is supposed to be good that way.

John