3.6 branch and release

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Tue Oct 29 01:13:45 PDT 2013

On 10/29/2013 04:49, Justin Sherrill wrote:
> Here's my plan:
>
> - Matt's done for now with his SMP improvements, and the gcc/locale
> changes from John Marino have had a chance to percolate for a while, so
> it should be safe to branch.
>
> - I'll branch 3.6 this upcoming weekend, assuming no objections.

I got everything in that I wanted *except* to turn on library
versioning.  However, that is pretty much as disruptive as the locales
patch so I basically decided to push this off to 3.7.

So for 3.6, I'm good.
For 3.7, I should try to get library versioning on early in the branch
for "percolation" reasons.

The FreeBSD ports collection has been going through some major
infrastructure changes.  We have had our own major changes with a
compiler change, new locales, updated iconv, updated libm, updated libc.
 All of those have caused a lot of ports breakage which has been wearing
me down trying to keep up.  However, at this point we are in reasonably
good shape.  Approximately 20,550 ports should be building with ~100
broken.  Since 3.4, the FreeBSD team has deleted more than 800 ports,
including all the QT3/KDE3 ports.  We probably lost around 500 building
ports from that, so that's why the port count hasn't changed much since
3.4 (we gained about the same amount as we lost).

John