DragonFly 3.4 released!

Chris Turner c.turner at 199technologies.com
Thu May 2 06:07:58 PDT 2013

On 05/01/13 14:05, Justin Sherrill wrote:
> People are so used to BSD ports == building from source that it's
> going to take a while to disabuse them of the notion, I bet.  The
> Slashdot post on the 3.4 release (for instance) had a number of people
> blithely going on about building from source and so on.
> On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 12:42 PM, John Marino <dragonflybsd at marino.st> wrote:
>> On 4/30/2013 06:24, Justin Sherrill wrote:
>> I've been reading a lot of the response to DPorts on the various outlets,
>> and there's a common misconception that users are expected to build software
>> from source.
>> In fact, building from source is the exception.

Meh. Building from source is the true unix way.

Overreliance on binaries gradually devolves until you end up
with a situation (like linux 'distrows') where noone
knows how the system as a whole is built except for a
small 'caste' of professionals who are abstracted away into
some insular and poorly-documented 'developer team', and a
large and ignorant user base who takes a slavish attitude
to their binary servility and is behaviorally
conditioned to be afraid to 'peek under the hood'
and 'do' anything.

That being said, binaries do have their place and should
be made available.

A chef, does not serve microwave pizzas, and doesn't complain
about cooking from scratch - but at the same time doesn't
mind going to a restaurant periodically. And we all cook
meals from time to time. So too it should be, imho, with
binaries.