Selection of roadmap for i386 platform End-of-Life (EOL)

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Wed May 1 01:07:27 PDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 08:34:59AM +0200, Francois Tigeot wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 01:15:34PM +0200, John Marino wrote:
> >
> I'd like to have an estimate of how many i386 users do we still have.
>
> There are surely download statistics for the various ISO images and binary
> packages.

Since there were no reliable ones, I'll use dports package downloads
numbers on mirror-master.dragonflybsd.org to cook up some.

In the meantime, here are some numbers from a few Linux distributions.

Scientific Linux:
https://www.scientificlinux.org/about/stats/2012/arch.html
https://www.scientificlinux.org/about/stats/2013/arch.html

After counting the architecture-specific packages downloaded, we get:
March 2012 => 67.02% amd64
March 2013 => 70.20% amd64

Arch Linux:

There are also a few numbers (and graphics!) in this blog post:
https://pierre-schmitz.com/farewell-i686/

i386 usage is decreasing slowly but surely; approximately 80% of downloaded
packages are amd64 versions at the moment.
Most remaining i386 users are also using amd64-compatible CPUs.

--
Francois Tigeot