. Need guidance on project:Implement Linux compatibility for the x86_64 DragonFly kernel

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Sun Jul 21 04:47:58 PDT 2013

On 7/15/2013 17:38, Abhishek Patel wrote:
> My name is Abhishek Patel and I am interested in the project "Implement
> Linux compatibility for the x86_64 DragonFly kernel" and I need
> suggestions as to what I must do next. I also wanted to know if i could
> work from fedora or do I need to get DragonFlyBSD?

Hello Abhishek,
I'm not sure why nobody is answering you.

You could work on DragonFly in Fedora in a virtual environment, say KVM,
Virtualbox or VMWare.  You would be working inside DragonFly, so yes,
you need to "get" DragonFly.  How else would you test your code?

I guess you could start by understanding how Linux compatibility works
in i386.  Research on the net should be fruitful and of course the code
for both FreeBSD and DragonFly are in their respective repositories and
http://bxr.su.

Once you understand how i386 linuxolator works, you should have an idea
how to extend that to x86_64 and use FreeBSD as inspiration since
they've already done it.

Once you are ready, I'd make a branch (e.g. fork DragonFly at
https://github.com/DragonFlyBSD/DragonFlyBSD) and put your changes there
so it can be reviewed publicly.

I think specific technical questions are more likely to get answered
than "how do I start?" because if you have to ask, it's probably a task
that is more than you can chew.

Thanks for the interest though.  It would be nice to have the option for
linux compatibility on x86-64.

John