Selection of roadmap for i386 platform End-of-Life (EOL)

Samuel J. Greear sjg at evilcode.net
Wed Apr 17 13:29:47 PDT 2013

How about option #3, we declare 3.4 or 3.6 or (insert future release here)
the last release of i386 -- with the last release meaning we don't roll new
releases and no longer build packages for the platform.

Whoever is doing snapshots may at their option continue building snaps to
keep a second platform compile-tested. Folks updating software in base may
conditionalize new versions for only x86-64 if there is a conflict. Bug
reports may still be accepted against the i386 platform, but will not be
given high priority (no i386 bug report will ever possibly be a release
blocker, since we won't be rolling releases of i386). i386 can continue to
limp on in a neutered fashion if only to help enforce portability
abstractions.

As soon as someone cooks up some kernel changes that are not easily
adaptable to i386 (such as requiring use of the DMAP) then the i386
platform can be removed.

Sam