DragonFly 3.4 release planning

Justin Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Tue Apr 16 07:47:53 PDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 9:33 AM, John Marino <dragonflybsd at marino.st> wrote:
> On 4/14/2013 02:39, Justin Sherrill wrote:
>>
>> * We have the ability to use pkgsrc or dports (building from source in
>> either case) now
>

> For pkgsrc, the automatic creating of the latest pkgsrc quarter branch was
> removed from /usr/Makefie a few months ago.  I think we need to put it back.
> Each release (IMO) should update /usr/Makefile to automatically create the
> latest branch as well as the master branch and it should default to the
> quarterly.  We've seen some several issues where new users unfamiliar with
> git built on the master branch when the quarterly was more appropriate.  I
> think we need to adjust this for the release.

I think this is already covered; 3.4 pulls the pkgsrc-2013Q1 branch
now with /usr/Makefile

http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/dragonfly.git/blobdiff/486ae76a135ac308aedf7a1b8841aa8ea16bd08e..DragonFly_RELEASE_3_4:/etc/Makefile.usr

>> * I'm not going to have pkgsrc binaries built for the release.
>

> That sort of implies DragonFly 3.4 will get pkgsrc binaries too, just
> sometime after the release.  Is this correct?

Yes, I'll work at it - I'm just having trouble keeping up, and
delaying the release didn't seem worth it when I often end up telling
people to switch back to pkgsrc building from src, anyway.