dynamic binaries in the root filesystem

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Wed Apr 3 09:13:01 PDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 03, 2013 at 05:51:53PM +0200, Max Herrgard wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 03, 2013 at 05:22:29PM +0200, Francois Tigeot wrote:
> > Besides, this whole static binaries in / at all cost business seems to be
> > based on groundless fears.
> > Other Unix-like operating systems have been using dynamic libraries for their
> > root filesystems for many years and I have yet to encounter a case where
> > this caused real issues and rescue binaries saved the day.
>
> Hm, I often do quick and hackish test-boots where I skip
> installing/copying /usr, but where I still need some basic pokeing
> around (ie use /bin and /sbin binaries). How would I do this with
> dynamic libraries? Keep them in / somehow?

With /lib and /libexec directories.

/libexec only contains ld-elf.so.2

and /lib these few dynamic libraries:

libalias.so.5           libformw.so.6           libncp.so.2
libatm.so.3             libfsid.so.3            libncurses.so.6
libbsdxml.so.4          libhammer.so.0          libncursesw.so.6
libc.so.7               libipsec.so.2           libpanel.so.6
libcam.so.3             libipx.so.3             libpanelw.so.6
libcrypt.so.4           libkiconv.so.3          libprop.so.3
libcrypto.so.5          libkvm.so.3             libsbuf.so.3
libcryptsetup.so.0      libluks.so.0            libtcplay.so.0
libdevattr.so.3         libm.so.3               libutil.so.4
libdm.so.3              libmd.so.3              libz.so.3
libedit.so.5            libmenu.so.6
libform.so.6            libmenuw.so.6

I have kept a few binaries static in /sbin to not inflate the count and have
to deal with the two pthreads implementations.

--
Francois Tigeot