Selection of roadmap for i386 platform End-of-Life (EOL)

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Apr 25 20:16:52 PDT 2013

    There's still one serious issue which is that Intel's initial
    foray into mobile is 32-bit.  We can't really EOL 32-bit as long
    as Intel and/or AMD are still producing 32-bit-only chips.

    (Though even in the mobile space I expect things will move rapidly
    to 64-bit due to competition from ARM).

    Other then that, 32-bit is dead.  Even minimalist machines coming
    out today can have more than 4G and the larger KVM area on 64-bit
    is becoming very important for resource management.