Selection of roadmap for i386 platform End-of-Life (EOL)

Justin Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Wed Apr 17 19:01:12 PDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 7:15 AM, John Marino <dragonflybsd at marino.st> wrote:

> 1) Agreement on the EOL date (or Release if it's pegged to a release)

I'd rather peg to a release; I'd assume we'd want to truncate i386 at
the time of a release, instead of somewhere between two releases.
Since release dates can be a little floaty, that's easier to manage.

> 2) A declaration of which road map will be used (method #1 or #2)

I don't know what the usage ratio of i386-only machines is at this
point; I'd feel more confident if I knew the impact, but there's no
way to find that out.

#2 (Or Sam's #3) appeals to me just because I've wanted something that
could be called a long-term support release for a while.  A
disadvantage of x86_64 is no linuxlator support, but keeping i386
around isn't going to solve that problem.