Selection of roadmap for i386 platform End-of-Life (EOL)

ejc eric.j.christeson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 08:15:43 PDT 2013

As one who moved from i386 hardware to x86_64 about 2 weeks ago, I'd vote
for option 2; Declare Release 3.4 last release for i386 but fix serious
bugs until end of 2014.  The Dell OptiPlex gx270 I retired is circa 2004 --
9 years ago.  There is getting to be less and less non-x86_64 hardware out
there  And I hold onto stuff for a long time.  I got rid of my last G4 mac
and a couple of Athlon T-bird boxes about a year ago.  If anyone should be
sad to see i386 go, it's me and I'm not sad :-)

Thanks,
Eric