support of hardware nested page table for vkernels

Ankur Agrawal, Jitendra Pratap Singh anagrawal at cs.stonybrook.edu
Wed Mar 21 17:00:44 PDT 2012

Samuel J. Greear <sjg <at> evilcode.net> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 7:29 AM, Jitendra Singh <jpsingh <at>
cs.stonybrook.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> We are a group of two Grad students from Stony Brook University, NY. We are
keenly interested and want to contribute in the project for supporting hardware
nested page table for vkernels for mentioned in the GSoC 2012. In fact, we would
even love to add support
>  for all hardware virtualization features provided by AMD-V architecture and
Intel-VT architecture if it already has not been supported.

> As a matter of fact, we are already working towards providing software and
hardware nested paging support for JOS (JOS is an Operating System developed at
MIT for academic purposes) and also towards providing support for emulation of
AMD-V virtualization features
>  in GEM5 emulator.
>

> Our past experience with Operating Systems and Virtualization includes design
and implementation of various features of JOS form scratch (like the bootloader,
Virtual Memory set-up, Multiprogramming and Interrupt Setup, IPC setup,
filesystem and network driver
>  set up). We also design and implemented a paravirtualized Virtual Machine
Manager for JOS for one our course projects. Apart from this, we are working
towards design and implementation of first ever device driver and filesystem for
Shingled Magnetic Recording
>  disks in LINUX.
>

> We strongly believe that our current work towards support of AMD-V emulation
in GEM5 and support of nested paging for JOS will give us significant exposure
to gain considerable insights into the hardware Virtualization and hence would
help us in adding an efficient
>  support for hardware Virtualization features in DragonFly BSD.
>

> We are looking forward to hear from you.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Ankur Agrawal, Jitendra Pratap Singh
>
> MS, Computer Science
> Stony Brook University
>

> This is potentially a large (difficult) enough project that it could be split
into two independent GSoC projects with no overlap, but the two of you will have
to work out how to make that happen and it is possible that only one of the two
proposals might be selected, or etc. Both proposals (there must be two, since
there are two of you -- that is not to say that both of you can't work on it,
just that you both need an independent proposal to be an official student and
paid/recognized by Google) must be able to stand on their own and each must
propose to result in something that will be potentially commit-able and use-able
on its own.

> These two articles:
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/228404/
>

> http://lwn.net/Articles/230658/
>
> Give an excellent overview of the architecture of the vkernel architecture,
how it manages page tables and how it all relates to the vm subsystem in
DragonFly. I believe it should be possible to implemented (optional) hardware
nested pagetable support within the existing vmspaces kernel API, which already
implements software nested pagetables (but if it turns out slight tweaks need to
happen, that's probably OK too).

> There is nothing saying you can't take this further, and one of the two of you
work on optional IO-MMU support or etc., the project ideas are simply that,
ideas.

> Best,
> Sam

Hi,

Thanks for your encouraging mails. We eagerly look forward to this project

As suggested by you, we are already aware of the difficulty and the size of the
project and hence we are working towards splitting this idea into two non-
overlapping but correlated modules.

While we are already working at it, we will be glad to have any ideas or
suggestion that you think might be useful for us in splitting the project.

Thanks
Jitendra, Ankur