GSOC project

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Wed Mar 21 01:22:55 PDT 2012

On 3/21/2012 03:20, Justin Sherrill wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Robert David
> <robert.david.public at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>>  From the things that seems reasonable for me and my experiences are:
>>   - Improve compatibility of libdevattr with Linux' libudev
>>   - Port FreeBSD's USB stack to DragonFly
>>   - Adapt pkgsrc to create a package system with dependency independence.
>
> It sounds like you aren't sure which project to try.  Putting together
> a week-by-week schedule of what you would be working on may help you
> decide.  As you list the tasks required as you work through the
> schedule, each project's work load will become more evident.  Plus,
> you will already have your proposal half-finished by the time the best
> one becomes clear to you.
>
> Remember, you don't have to stick to our list of ideas; if there's
> something you would enjoy working on, put together a proposal for it.

It is debatable if the last two projects should be on the GSOC page. For
one, they've been in place for years.  More importantly, profmakx has
been working on the USB stack project already.  I thought he had made
significant progress and thus this project should have been removed.

The pkgsrc project is something that I've been thinking about for
months.  For one, it's a lot bigger than it looks and probably to get it
fully functional and running is out of scope of GSOC.  Secondly, there's
a lot of ways to skin that cat and the wrong way will just waste
everyone's time.   I was planning to start working on this myself in a
few months.  A lot of my recent commits are semi-related to taking on
this task.

As a bigger topic, I don't know if we had a formal "call of project
ideas" this year.  It seems that most or all of these are carry-overs
from previous years.  I think the DragonFly project would be well-served
to make an earnest attempt at updating this project page and adding some
fresh projects.

John