[GSoC] inotify and fs indexing service status

Vishesh Yadav vishesh3y at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 21:43:01 PDT 2012

--e89a8f234589bc3b8504c358bbda

Hello,

In fifth week I implement idr - integer management library using code of
file descriptor allocators in kern_descrip.c. Worked to use the new library
to be used with filedesc, however something or other didn't work out. Will
be trying that again after looking at code more properly. Rest tested
existing work done till now which seems to work quite fine. There are
mainly two events left to handle IN_MOVED_TO and IN_MOVED_FROM, which I'm
being able to detect however have to synchronise them both using cookie
argument.

Vishesh

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 2:54 AM, Vishesh Yadav <vishesh3y at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This week's status -
>
> * Added following notes for EVFILT_VNODE - NOTE_OPEN, NOTE_ACCESS,
> NOTE_CLOSE_WRITE, NOTE_CLOSE_NOWRITE, NOTE_CREATE. They work with Hammer
> and UFS.
>
> * Implemented inotify_read() and have the most important masks working.
> Hence now we have a working inotify system.
>
> Vishesh
>
> On 06/10/2012 11:42 PM, Vishesh Yadav wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Not much new code this week. Improved and tested existing code, exposed
> > watch/instance limits through sysctl and made the system respect the
> limits.
> >
> > Rest studied kernel kqueue interface and its usage to be used in
> > inotify_read. Planned to add few knotes like NOTE_ACCESS, NOTE_CLOSE and
> > linux like idr integer management that can be used in fdalloc and watch
> > descriptors.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Vishesh
> >
> > On 06/03/2012 10:14 PM, Vishesh Yadav wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> This week I finished watch management functions. Now watches can be
> added,
> >> removed from into the inotify_instance. Hence inotify_add_watch,
> >> inotify_rm_watch are now almost complete. Just have to check error codes
> >> that are being returned. I also implemented fo_close for inotify fileops
> >> which cleans up the instance well now.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Vishesh

> code.

--e89a8f234589bc3b8504c358bbda

Hello,<br><br>In fifth week I implement idr - integer management library us=
ing code of file descriptor allocators in kern_descrip.c. Worked to use the=
 new library to be used with filedesc, however something or other didn'=
t work out. Will be trying that again after looking at code more properly. =
Rest tested existing work done till now which seems to work quite fine. The=
re are mainly two events left to handle IN_MOVED_TO and IN_MOVED_FROM, whic=
h I'm being able to detect however have to synchronise them both using =
cookie argument.<br>
AM, Vishesh Yadav <span dir=3D"ltr"><<a href=3D"mailto:vishesh3y at gmail.c=
ote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc s=
olid;padding-left:1ex">
Hello,<br>
This week's status -<br>
* Added following notes for EVFILT_VNODE - NOTE_OPEN, NOTE_ACCESS,<br>
NOTE_CLOSE_WRITE, NOTE_CLOSE_NOWRITE, NOTE_CREATE. They work with Hammer<br=

and UFS.<br>
* Implemented inotify_read() and have the most important masks working.<br>
Hence now we have a working inotify system.<br>
Vishesh<br>
On 06/10/2012 11:42 PM, Vishesh Yadav wrote:<br>
to:vishesh3y at gmail.com">vishesh3y at gmail.com</a>> wrote:<br>
>>> Hello everyone,<br>
>>> Current status for first week -<br>
>>> - Repository and wiki setup at Github[1]<br>
>>> - Made the basic skeleton for inotify interface - system calls=
, helper<br>
>>> functions, structures, headers and few basic stuff in there.<b=
r>
>>> - Currently working on management of watches (will be using se=
parate<br>
>>> file tables for watches). Once this is done, can write some wo=
rking code.<br>
>>> In community bonding period, I setup my working environment, b=
rowse and<br>
>>> understood relevant kernel codebase and studied Linux early an=
d recent<br>
>>> inotify implementation.<br>
>>> Now that exams are almost over, I hope I can catch up some pac=
e now.<br>
>>> Regards,<br>
>>> Vishesh<br>
>>> [1] <a href=3D"https://github.com/vishesh/DragonFlyBSD/" targe=