top io patch

Pratyush Kshirsagar pratyush.kshirsagar at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 09:58:19 PDT 2011

Hello,Here is the top io patch attached.This patch is just for testing purpose.I have made some changes to PRES print and sorting stuff.As, I was testing this on my old system, cause its graphical and gives me some good read and write results while fire-fox is running.
I talked on IRC and Alex told me that the IVCSW  (In voluntary context switches) values are not stored properly but on my system I always see the IVCSW values zero both with the values from the struct kp_ru and kp_cru i.e. I tried to check the values of process resource usage and childs resource usage and the IVCSW is allways zero. May be their are no involuntary context switches on my system, may be the processes are kind enough to utilise cpu in bounds.
Also, I added a function to sort the reads which is not sorting the processes properly, although the logic is same the way with other sort ORDERKEY's.Please test this patch with the top -m io command and give me some suggestions on it.
Note: This patch is just to get some feedback. The only things missing in this patch is sorting the output depending on write, total io, vcsw, ivcsw and faults.- Pratyush Kshirsagar.
top_io_patch_review_01.patch