Release 2.12 - 3.0

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Tue Oct 18 15:03:12 PDT 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 10:57:29PM +0200, Max Herrgard wrote:
> On 18 okt 2011, at 18.09, Alex Hornung wrote:
> > In a summary: 2.12 is broken and the fixes for it need plenty of testing
> > (months of testing).
> >
> > There are a few solutions that have been proposed for this, and I'd like
> > people to vote on them, since we really need to make a decision ASAP:
> > D) Release the broken 2.12 and let users "suck it up".
>
> I wote D). 2.10 is simply too old to make sense, and I don't think 2.12 is in that bad shape. My single CPU x86_64 fileserver runs fine.
>
> Later we would release an early 3.0 when things have stabilize, sure to be better than the older release :-)

My conclusions are the same, but I'll vote F). 2.12 is not broken or if it is,
it is considerably less so than 2.10.

With 2.10, some of my machines had complete system freezes and needed hard
resets to become operational again.
Many bugfixes were pushed to 2.11 and are now present in the 2.12 branch;
since these fixes went in, I've not seen any more instance of system freeze.

Even if some applications crash from time to time with bus errors (which I've
yet to experience so far), this is a relatively minor issue compared to a dead
server.

--
Francois Tigeot