PostgreSQL benchmarks

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Tue Nov 15 14:47:01 PST 2011

Hi,

I have been running PostgreSQL benchmarks for the last few days.

The main idea was to test the scalability of DragonFly on many cores; for that
purpose I used a tool included with Postgres, Pgbench.

The server machine was a dual-Xeon system, with 12 cores, 24 hardware threads
and 96GB of memory.

The current development version of DragonFly was compared to the 2.10 one, as
well as with FreeBSD 9-RC1.
PostgreSQL-9.1 was used on all systems.

The tests made apparent some performance problems and some serious DragonFly
2.13 crashs which only manifested themselves on high loads. Thanks to Matthew
Dillon, they were fixed incredibly incredibly quickly.

The results are in the attached PDF. Much progress has been made since
DragonFly 2.10 was first released.

I would like to thank all of the IRC channel regulars who helped me setup
these tests and pointed out the configuration errors I made. Without their
advice, these benchmarks would not have been representative of real
performance levels.

--
Francois Tigeot
Pg-benchmarks.pdf