CPU speed influence on Blogbench RAID benchmarks

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Thu Jul 14 05:46:17 PDT 2011

Hi,

Given the remarks I received in the previous thread, I have started to
run the same sort of benchmarks with more Blogbench iterations.

During the course of this run, I noticed system cpu time% was going
through the roof.
I then thought it would be a good idea to re-run the initial benchmarks
with different CPU speeds.

You'll find my results in the attached files.
The three test configurations are:
- the original Opteron 6128 machine with 16 cores @2GHz
- a Xeon X5650 system with 6 cores @2.66 GHz (2 threads per core)
- the same system with Hyperthreading and 4 cores disabled

For the Xeon system, I made sure the cores were always running at the
same frequency by disabling Turbo Boost in the BIOS setup.

The version of DragonFly used was 2.10.1/x86_64.

--
Francois Tigeot
Blogbench-CPUs.pdf