Summer of Code 2011 - who wants to mentor?

Samuel J. Greear sjg at evilcode.net
Wed Feb 9 20:05:15 PST 2011

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 7:45 PM, Justin C. Sherrill
<justin at shiningsilence.com> wrote:
> I'm working on another application for Google's Summer of Code.  Who wants
> to work as a mentor this year?
>
> For those who aren't familiar, it's 10 weeks of getting a student through
> a project.  You get to pick which project(s) you are available to mentor,
> though I wouldn't recommend mentoring more than one at a time.
> Responsibilities are mostly getting the student to stay on track, and
> helping them solve problems.
>
> If you aren't interested in mentoring, we can use project ideas.  Add them
> here:
>
> http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/developer/gsoc2011/

Last year the project only received 3 slots largely because of a lack
of mentors. If you have/had an interest in mentoring but have not
volunteered because you do not feel you are qualified -- one of the
largest parts of being a mentor is simply acting as a sounding board
so that the student might discover options they had not previously
considered. Obviously, the ability to review code and provide feedback
is essential, but by no means must you be extremely intimate with the
DragonFly kernel, just have a reasonable understanding of the way we
do things.

As Justin mentioned, you are able to assign yourself as being
available to mentor only those projects which you would feel
comfortable or capable of mentoring. Being signed up as a mentor does
not obligate you to mentor.

Oh yeah, and Google sends you a sweet cotton t-shirt that makes you
the envy of all your peers.

If you have a project idea, but do not feel comfortable adding it to
the page or do not know if it would be appropriate for Summer of Code,
please send it to this mailing list -- all ideas are worth
considering.

Thanks,
Sam