DragonFly BSD Goals/Direction

Matthias Rampke matthias at rampke.de
Sat Dec 3 13:58:18 PST 2011

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 22:30, Dmitrij D. Czarkoff <czarkoff at gmail.com> wrote:

> BTW, why do You think that there is any correlation between popularity
> of FreeBSD and the lack of label?

In the row of BSD labels I've always conceived FreeBSD as being most
focused on being a multi-purpose OS (which, of the BSDs, it surely is,
considering that all desktop BSDs were derived from it too) – which of
course makes it useful for many purposes, but no purpose in
particular.

I do agree that there should be (at most a handful of) defining
"talking points" when pitching DragonFly to people – I've in the past
mostly focused on these:

* works to get multiprocessing right – from the ground up, not tacked on
* HAMMER
* swapcache
* the simplicity & clarity of the whole system
* the community (you!) (I mean it. The tone on the mailing lists & on
IRC is incredibly calm, helpful and patient. Thank you.)

Not sure if this is the same as "project goals", but there go my 2 cents.
__matthiasr