Merry X-Mas and 3.0 release after the holidays - date not yet decided

Dmitrij D. Czarkoff czarkoff at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 07:46:18 PST 2011

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 10:31:42AM +0100, John Marino wrote:
> I wouldn't mind taking a page out of Emac's and Binutils handbook and
> change the numbering scheme completely:
>  1) Ordinal releases forever
>  2) Developer branch minor number is 5
>
> In that scheme, this next release would be DragonFly 14.0.0 and the
> master would take on the number 14.5.0, and the subsequent release would
> be DragonFly 15.0.0.

Won't it be a way too much? Given that there is the only source tree, the flat
scheme that existed until now seems more adequate.

Personally I like the OpenBSD's version numbering: every release increments
the minor. After X.9 release the major gets updated, so it beomes X+1.0. This
allows easy mnemonics and avoids such threads on the mailing list.

--
Dmitrij D. Czarkoff