Working directly for DFBSD

Justin Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Fri Apr 29 17:11:56 PDT 2011

I'll point out that the primary reason we didn't have more projects is
because we just didn't get enough slots from Google for them all.  I
would have liked to see your project, but it, and other good ideas,
just didn't make the cut.

We have twice as many slots as we had last year, which is nice, but we
had an even greater increase in interesting projects.

In any case, I'd like to see you work.  I wouldn't be a good mentor
for this, unfortunately.  If nobody is able to step forward, I'd still
like to see you work on it.  This is a two-edged sword - you don't
have any deadlines or external pressures on your work.  On the other
hand, you aren't guaranteed attention from the other people involved,
depending on what they are doing.   Plus, no deadlines.  (Though I bet
if you did complete this on the Google timeline, we could get a shirt
out of it.)

The resources you can get, either way:

- EFNet #dragonfly IRC usually has people available.  It seems to be
busiest around 1200-1500UTC, I think.

- This mailing list.

- A leaf account.  Send your public key to Matt with the username you
want, and he can create an account on leaf.dragonflybsd.org.  The
machine is pretty beefy, and you can even use vkernels to test out
ideas.

I can't guarantee you'll always get answers from people in the project
by email or IRC; nobody else has that guarantee either.  Don't let it
slow you.