troubleshooting dragonfly after compiling kernel

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Sep 1 13:45:51 PDT 2010

:Hi Everyone,
:I made some changes to the kernel, used the buildkernel and installkernel
:command, all went good but after booting the customized kernel it just
:freezes.
:Although, I havent made changes to the configuration files it checks while
:/etc/defaults/devfs.conf.
:I am running the system in VMWare, so I thought it will take a long time but
:still cant figure it out.
:
:Pratyush Kshirsagar.

    What kernel rev is it?  It would be about the 5th line down on the
    console while it is booting e.g.:

    DragonFly v2.7.3.833.g766a6-DEVELOPMENT #120: Wed Sep  1 11:07:48 PDT 2010

			  ^^^^^  this is the commit id.

    It is possible you caught the kernel in a bad state, we're going to be
    a bit unstable this week.  But right now at this moment it should be
    stable.

    Another possibility is that your world & kernel are out of sync with
    each other.  That isn't supposed to cause a crash or lockup but it
    is a possibility.