dloader and autoboot_delay count down

Oliver Fromme check+lajddm00rsub4p7p at fromme.com
Tue Oct 19 06:03:07 PDT 2010

YONETANI Tomokazu <qhwt.dfly at les.ath.cx> wrote:
 > With dloader, one of my DragonFly box no longer waits 10 seconds before
 > it starts the kernel.  At first it prints
 >
 >  Booting [kernel] in 10 seconds...
 >
 > but the next number is not 9 but some negative number with 4 or 5 digits.
 > [...]
 > I also added some printf's around autoboot() and installed it to the
 > hard drive in this PC, and found that the negative number is actually
 > caused by occasional odd values returned by time(); it mostly increases
 > by one, but sometimes much larger values is returned, then back to the
 > original series.

The very same problem happened with FreeBSD's loader under
qemu, and probably also under real hardware with broken
RTC BIOS functions.  I fixed it in FreeBSD in r179825:

http://www.secnetix.de/olli/FreeBSD/svnews/index.py?r=179825

I'm not sure if the problem you're seeing with dloader is
related, but the symptoms are 100% the same as what I was
seeing.

Best regards
   Oliver