linux emulation update

Alex Hornung ahornung at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 06:51:45 PST 2010

Hi,

I've been working the past few days on an extensive update of the linux
emulation layer. Right now the diff is about 6500 lines. I've been using a
gentoo stage3 tarball and LTP (linux test project) for testing, and so far
things seem to work out. Test results from yesterday's run can be found
here[1]. I usually run LTP once a day, in the evening and update that page.
The errors that ltp shows are mostly errno mismatches, although there are
also a few test cases that hang (from the top of my head: msgrcv03,
msgsnd03, msgrcv06, semctl01, possibly one or two more, I can't recall).

I've also done some limited testing with a recent jre (jre1.6.0_18) and it
seems to work fine, at least with the limited stuff I've tested it with
(mostly small programs I did for uni).

The question here is if the update should be committed before the release is
tagged or not. While things have been fairly stable for me, it's a very
extensive update and it's likely that I've missed something somewhere. I'm
not sure if it would be appropriate to commit such a big change without
proper testing for possibly several months. If the consensus is that this
should go in for the release, I would probably commit it within a week or
so, as I'm still working on it. If not I'd commit it just after the release
date.

Any opinions?

Cheers,
Alex Hornung