I/O scheduler (aka dsched)

Magnus Eriksson magetoo at fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 30 03:09:20 PDT 2010

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010, Alex Hornung wrote:

The past months I've been working intermittently on an I/O scheduler
framework and a fair queuing policy for DragonFly BSD.
Sounds really cool!

The ionice priority is similar to nice, but the levels nice values range
from 0 to 10, and unlike the usual nice, 10 is the highest priority and 0
the lowest. Usage is exactly the same as nice:
I think the principle of least surprise would suggest that it should work
exactly like nice, rather than flip it around, or people will get confused
why the misbehaving program continues to eat all IO even after they
reniced it.  :-)

MAgnus