HEADS UP - major structure size changes in HEAD

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Jun 9 11:05:03 PDT 2010

:> This is time you could have spent
:> running a task that potentially *could* get some work done (nevermind
:> the cmp
:
:... the cmpxchg bus traffic).
:
:Phone ringing is bad for your concentration.
:
:Aggelos

    The cache management traffic is definitely an issue.  That's where
    something like MONITOR/MWAIT could help a lot, or even just a PAUSE
    instruction.

    We could conceivably get a lot more sophisticated but at least for now
    perhaps we should just stick with a PAUSE instruction.  I'll add one
    to the contention path in lwkt_switch().

					<dillon at backplane.com>