porting system code

Joe Talbott josepht at dragonflybsd.org
Sat Jun 5 16:59:45 PDT 2010

Hi All,

In my work to port FreeBSD's WiFi drivers to DragonFly BSD I'm
thinking I'd like to use the following basic guidelines:

1. import the pristine code and commit it.
2. commit changes required to port the code.
3. hook the code into the build system if necessary.

I've discussed this with dillon, aggelos, and swildner on IRC and one
idea was to use a vendor branch for this since the workflow is
basically the same as importing application code.  However we have
only used vendor branches (AFAIK) for application code.

Perhaps we can include an additional entry in .git/refs/heads for
system code we decide to include.

Anyone have ideas or opinions about what color this bikeshed should
be?

Thanks,
Joe