I/O errors on Hammer volume

Michael Neumann michaelneuma at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 13 02:38:10 PDT 2010

2010/4/13 Francois Tigeot <ftigeot at wolfpond.org>
I've just found this in the daily security output of my workstation
(running 2.6.1) :

Checking setuid files and devices:
find: /usr/pkgsrc/sysutils/sysinfo/CVS/Entries: Input/output error
find: /usr/pkgsrc/devel/avltree/CVS/Entries: Input/output error
find: /usr/pkgsrc/security/p5-Crypt-RSA/CVS/Entries: Input/output error
find: /usr/pkgsrc/ham/dpbox/CVS/Entries.Log: Input/output error
find: /usr/pkg/openoffice.org: Input/output error
find: /usr/pkg/openoffice.org3: Input/output error

These directories can no longer be used:

# cd /usr/pkg
# ls -ld o*
ls: openoffice.org: Input/output error
ls: openoffice.org3: Input/output error

I'm not sure if this is due to a bug in HAMMER or to some sort of hardware
failure. The hard disk is a 500GB Western Digital Green model with a single
hammer version 4 volume. The directories belong to the root fs.

Filesystem                    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
PFS500GP                      460G   400G    60G    87%    /

There's no relevant error message in dmesg.

Is there any tool I can use to diagnose and fix this problem ?Check with sysutils/smartmontools. I'd love to have a simplistic SMARTmonitoring daemon integrated into DragonFly which is run by default.
This would be so cool and useful!Regards,  Michael