DoxyGen Style Kernel API reference.

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Sep 8 10:19:25 PDT 2009

    I've looked at the web site and I do like the concept.  I think we
    could incorporate Doxygen elements in the kernel code as an
    augmentation of our section 9 manual pages.

    To be clear, I'm talking about this style of documentation:

    /**
     * Short descript.  Longer description ....
     * ...
     *
     * @param arg1 description
     * ...
     * @return description
     *
     */

    I don't think we need to impose any major formalities, it can be
    as simple as a one-liner.  In otherwords, however little or much
    the programmer wants to throw in there would be fine, at least as
    long as it doesn't get past 15 lines or so :-).

    There are some practical issues, however.  When I built doxygen
    from pkgsrc it brought in a ridiculous number of packages, including
    ghostscript.

    I wonder... could we just write our own source code parser that is
    compatible with a subset of Doxygen formatting conventions and generate
    the HTML and MAN templates ourselves?  Without using the actual doxygen
    package?