GSoC: DevFS

Hasso Tepper hasso at estpak.ee
Sun May 17 22:21:46 PDT 2009

Alex Hornung wrote:
> There will also be a userland daemon which will receive notifications
> of new devices; this daemon will basically be used to keep a
> configuration file for devfs including permissions and hence telling
> the devfs in the kernel which permissions to use to create a specific
> node. It could also be used to run specific programs/scripts/commands
> whenever something new is attached.

Note that we already have such daemon - devd(8). Besides written in C++
(which in fact isn't big disadvantage for me personally) it works mostly
although I think that it could be far more bulletproof to unusual
situations - like flapping devices and interfaces etc.

The fact that it's written in C++ also might be disadvantage in light of
using alternative compilers for base.

regards,

--
Hasso Tepper